Today Marks the First Day of Stage 2 of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy
Government Legislation Recap
Government of Alberta Announcements
- Parents, rejoice! Details were revealed this week by Education Minister Adriana LaGrange about planning occurring for the 2020-2021 school year. Three options were presented with the aim of having in-school classes resuming with near normal operations and additional health measures.
- Announced by Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer, a new drug treatment court in Red Deer will help support addiction treatment and recovery, while increased support for law enforcement will target drug traffickers and suppliers.
- The Respect in School training program is being expanded to day care and day camp workers. The program is designed to give individuals who work with children the tools to identify and address bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination.
- Effective June 15, pharmacists in Alberta can begin to give out up to a 100-day supply of prescription drugs, up from the 30-day supply implemented to address shortages due to the pandemic.
- The Alberta government has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) to assess the feasibility of a new passenger rail service between Calgary and Banff. The service would run between Calgary International Airport and Banff, with potential stops in between.
- Judge Derek G. Redman has been appointed chief judge of the provincial court of Alberta, effective Aug. 1 for a seven-year term. He was appointed a provincial court judge in 2007 and assistant chief judge in 2017.
- Health Minister Tyler Shandro announced that billing codes introduced during the pandemic to allow for virtual and telephone physician visits have been made permanent.
- The government is launching consultations to ensure parents and early childhood educators have their say on reducing red tape and improving quality and safety in child care. MLA Tracy Allard of Grande Prairie is leading the consultation and an online survey will be available beginning June 15.
- 20 million non-medical masks were made available at no cost to Albertans this week through fast food drive-thrus as well as being provided to municipalities, First Nations communities, Metis Settlements, and local agencies.
Orders in Council
OC 177/2020: Effective August 1, 2020, designates Derek Gordon Redman as Chief Judge of The Provincial Court of Alberta.
OC 179/2020: Makes the Alberta Housing Act Regulations Repeal Regulation that repeals the Alberta Mortgage and Housing Corporation Loan Regulation (AR 233/85) and The Loan Insurance Regulation (AR 351/83).
OC 180/2020: Makes the Oil Sands Tenure Regulation, 2020 which includes oil sands agreements, continued leases, notices and directions and transitional, repeal, expiry and coming into force dates. The regulation comes into effect December 1, 2020 and will expire November 30, 2030.
Upcoming Committee Meeting Dates
June 16, 2020
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts, Ministry of Children’s Services
June 23, 2020
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts, Treasury Board and Finance, ATB
- Standing Committee on Private Bills and Private Members’ Public Bills, Bill Pr1 and Bill 203
June 26, 2020
- Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund