Premier Kenney Releases the Fair Deal Panel Report
Government Legislation Recap
Government of Alberta Announcements
- Government of Alberta employees and teams, including Dr. Deena Hinshaw, were presented with the Premier’s Public Service Awards.
- One-time funding is being made available through the new Overnight Camps (for Children and Youth) Facility Overhead Funding Program to assist with ensuring camps can open in 2021 following summer closure in 2020 due to COVID-19.
- A second medication, Radicava, is now available to Albertans with government sponsored drug coverage to treat ALS.
- A new vendor performance management program will be used beginning this month to ensure the delivery of quality housing for seniors and other Albertans with low income.
- To supplement your summer road trips, more provincial historic sites and museums will reopen on June 20 as part of stage two of Alberta’s relaunch strategy. A full list of sites opening and others remaining closed until further notice is available here.
- The Government of Alberta will appoint a chief provincial firearms officer to ensure firearms policy and regulatory enforcement reflect the priorities and needs of Albertans with a chief provincial firearms office expected to be in place in 2021.
- The government’s review of Alberta’s post-secondary education system is officially underway. Stakeholder engagement and consultation will take place over the next few months with a final report expected in late 2020.
Orders in Council
OC 181/2020: Further clarifies variance and exemption of unpaid family leave related to COVID-19 including giving the employer as much notice as possible. The regulation takes effect August 15, 2020.
OC 182/2020: Effective July 16, 2020, appoints Charlene Butler as a member of the board of The Governors of The University of Alberta for a term to expire on July 15, 2023 and effective September 28, 2020, appoints Sett Policicchio as a member of the board of The Governors of The University of Alberta for a term to expire on September 27, 2023.
OC 183/2020: Reappoints Dr. Vonda Bobart as a member and redesignates her as chair of the Fatality Review Board for a term to expire on September 30, 2022 with remuneration subject to review.
OC 184/2020: Designates the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General, Doug Schweitzer, as the provincial minister for the purposes of the Firearms Act (Canada).
OC 185/2020: Effective immediately, appoints Karena Apps Eccles and Kevin Kelly as members of the Health Disciplines Board for terms to expire June 16, 2023 with Karena Apps Eccles also named as deputy chair effective November 29, 2020. Effective November 29, 2020, appoints Patrizia Valle as a member of the Board for a term to expire on November 28, 2022. Effective December 4, 2020, designates Craig Hrynchuk as chair of the Board and Dr. Peter Jamieson as a member of the Board for a term to expire December 3, 2023.
Upcoming Committee Meeting Dates
June 23, 2020
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts, Treasury Board and Finance, ATB
- Standing Committee on Private Bills and Private Members’ Public Bills, Bill Pr1 and Bill 203
June 26, 2020
- Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund