Did you have a good pandemic today?
We know it can be frustrating trying to get your point across to government in times like these so we offer some context and some pretty helpful tips, if we do say so ourselves:
- Governments are making it up as they go right now. There is no politicians guide to governing during a pandemic. Everyday is an adventure.
- Governments need you now more than ever. They need your ideas on how to keep jobs and how to create jobs in your industry. A survey of the members of your sector on key issues can be a powerful tool in advancing your issues up the priority list with a government decision maker.
- You don’t need fireworks or a dancing bear to get their attention. A well written business letter is often the best first step in positioning you and your ask with a key influencer. It’s foundational.
- The decision makers aren’t always ministers, and the influencers aren’t always the Chief of Staff or the Deputy Minister. Take the time to find out who’s who in the zoo.
- Don’t burn up all your capital pushing your agenda if they’ve already told you no. Your indignation isn’t going to change the facts or their view of your issue. Consider pushing from a different angle, to a different person and/or at a different time.
Stay tuned. Things are moving at warp speed. We look forward to tackling these challenges with you.
-Hon. Monte Solberg, Principal, New West Public Affairs